Build a Backlist Fast with Novellas




About ten month before my contemporary novel, Her Hollywood Christmas (originally titled Labor Relations), was scheduled to release in February 2011, I had a small crisis. Here I was ready to debut a contemporary novel and the only title in my backlist was my Regency romance, Lady's Wager. I needed some back list titles and I needed them fast. However, life at the time was very busy and I didn’t have a lot of time to write (who does?). More and more e-publishers were asking for novellas and that’s when the idea hit me. I write short, so why not go with what I know and write to my strength.

I had a number of rejected Woman's World short stories sitting on my laptop, all of which could be quickly expanded into longer short stories. One of them was Rock ‘n’ Roll ReunionI rewrote it and submitted it and within two months it was contracted for publication by a small epublisher for a January 2011 release. I have since received the rights back and published it myself. Once that novella was accepted, I started working on another one that became A Little Legal Luck. That novella was released by the Wild Rose Press in September 2011, and I have since republished myself. Once it was off my plate, I finished polishing up Mask of the Gladiator, my ancient Rome novella, and sold it to Carina Press. This helped me to build up my historical romance backlist. Within a short amount of time, I went from having one published novel to a handful of published titles.

So, if you're struggling to build a backlist fast, consider writing shorter. There is a lot you can pack into a little story.

If you like novellas then you will love mine because they are great to read when you don't have a lot of time.

For more writing advice and suggestions click here and here.


No comments: