My original intention was to sand it and stain in. I started to sand it, but between book deadlines and the difficulty of getting into the crevices to get rid of the stubborn mid-century stain, I never finished it.
The chair sat in my garage for a year, forgotten until I decided that I was tired of seeing it looking so neglected. That's when I decided to finally finish this project. I applied two coats of my favorite black paint with a sponge so the grain would come through, cleaned the grime out of the original wheels and finished the chair.
She's quite lovely now, isn't she. So are my books. You should check them out.