A Mitford Garage Sale

Nancy Mitford, The Pursuit of Love, Love in a Cold Climate


The Duke of Devonshire is cleaning out his attic and it's all up for grabs. Now, this is a yard sale I would love to attend. Read the story here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1316264/Duke-Devonshires-2-5m-Chatsworth-car-boot-sale-including-racy-decorations.html

Nancy Mitford, The Pursuit of Love, Love in a Cold Climate
Speaking of the Devonshires, I've been reading a lot about the Mitfords lately. It started with The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate. I enjoyed both books and while I'm waiting for the library to get Don't Tell Alfred, I checked out The Sisters: The Saga of the Mitford Family by Mary S. Lovell. It is a great book, well researched and enjoyable to read. However, instead of increasing my like of the Mitfords, it left me with a certain sense of disgust for the majority of the sisters. With the exception of Pam and Deborah, the current Duchess of Devonshire, none of the sisters come off a likable human beings, especially Decca, Diane and Unity and to a lesser extent Nancy. This isn't because Ms. Lovell portrayed them poorly but because they led such shameful, lives and did such nasty things, that there was no way to get around the taint. After all, when Hitler is one of your best friends or a witness at your wedding, nothing you or anyone does afterwards is going to make you look good.

So there's my two-cents worth on the Mitfords and, yes, despite the above, I'd gladly splash out for some trinket straight from the old Duke's attic. In Southern California, we just don't have such interesting garage sales. Sure, Torri Spelling once held a garage sale at her place but it just isn't the same thing.

I have manor houses in my books. You should check them out. www.Georgie-Lee.com

No comments: