Romantic Historical Films for Valentine's Day

Pride and Prejudice, A Room with a View, The Last of the Mohicans, Shakespeare in Love, Dr. Thorne

For me, Valentine's Day involves more cuddling with hubby and a movie at home than a candlelight dinner out. I love period piece films (I write historical romance, after all), so those are my go to choices for a night in at the movies. If you love costumes and accents, and are searching for a new favorite romantic film, then check out my quick list of romantic historical films for Valentine's Day, or any time of the year.

Keira Knightly, Matthew MacFadyen,Pride and Prejudice (2005). Nothing gets historical romance writers into a vigorous debate like discussing whether or not this version of Pride and Prejudice or the Colin Firth one is better. For this list, I chose this one because I love it, and because it's a much shorter film to watch with a husband who doesn't usually watch Jane Austen films.








Joseph Fiennes, Gweneth PaltrowShakespeare in Love. Humor, romance and a wonderful weaving of real life with fictional events, this movie is a must see for historical film romantics. The costumes are lush, the story moving, and Joseph Fiennes quite the hunk as the greatest writer in the English language.







Helena Bohnam Carter, Julian Sands

A Room with a View. Helena Bonham Carter really shines in this film as Lucy Honeychurch who is, much to her chagrin, swept off her feet by a silent and alluring Julian Sands. Beautiful scenes in Florence and the English countryside enhance the romance and the historical feel of the film.







Daniel Day-Lewis, Madeline StoweThe Last of the Mohicans - Love and war collide in this tale set during the French and Indian War. Daniel Day-Lewis fights to save the woman he loves, all the while looking very hot.









Downton Abbey, Julian Fellows
Dr. Thorne. Written and produced by Julian Fellows of Downton Abbey fame, this movie is a short one packed with melodrama with a capital M. However, it's fun and light so if you're looking for something that isn't too deep, then this one is for you.








I hope this lest leads you to a new favorite romantic film. If you are looking for a romantic novel then please check out mine because there is a lot of romance in them.






4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Shakespeare in love too!! Last of the Mohicans always seems so depressing to me though, I still love it as I love historical movies though!

You should link up at #bloggerspotlight!
http://www.raisingfairiesandknights.com/blogger-spotlight-48/

Cranberry Morning said...

I love historical movies and am currently watching The Crown (on Netflix). Along with P&P, a favorite, probably my other favorite historical romance is North and South with Richard Armitage (book by Elizabeth Gaskell). Great idea to line up historical romance for Valentine's Day.

Teresa B said...

I love them. I've seen them all in the past, but thank you for the reminder, it's a wonderful idea to revisit them for Valentine's. Thank you for joining The Really Crafty Link Party this week!

Samantha said...

Love Pride and Prejudice, but the older version the best. Thanks for sharing, some of these I've never seen.
thanks!