History Films You'll Love

Dangerous liasons, Dangerous beauty, king arthur, 300, 300: rise of empire


I love history, but I also love modern medicine, microwaves and the ability to buy what I eat instead of growing it. Luckily, modern life allows history buffs like me to enjoy a taste of history through movies. Since I'm obsessed with period pieces (
I'm a historical romance novelist, after all) I'll watch any movie with a costume and an accent. As a result, I've seen some great movies, some terrible movies, and some that are just great fun.

Below is a sampling of the good, the bad and the fun to watch. This list only represents a small portion of the movies I love. So feel free to post your own favorites. I'm always on the lookout for another flick to add to my to be watched list.


Dangerous liasons, Dangerous beauty, king arthur, 300, 300: rise of empire
There's something decadent about watching Dangerous Liaisons. The costumes are rich, the story is intriguing and the characters are down right evil. It's wicked fun and a lot less calories than chocolate.



Dangerous liasons, Dangerous beauty, king arthur, 300, 300: rise of empire, an ideal husband

Who can resist the scene in Dangerous Beauty when Veronica's mother instructs Veronica on the art of pleasing a man? The story is a little trite at times but the chemistry between Veronica and Marco is sizzling, and Venice provides the perfect backdrop for their complicated love.

Dangerous liasons, Dangerous beauty, king arthur, 300, 300: rise of empire, an ideal husband
How sexy is Rupert Everett in An Ideal Husband? This film combines all the pithy dialogue one expects from Oscar Wilde with excellent actors and lush costumes.











Dangerous liasons, Dangerous beauty, king arthur, 300, 300: rise of empire, an ideal husbandAs much as I enjoy King Arthur, I'll be the first to admit it isn't a great film. However, I can't resist Clive Owen and Ioan Gruffadd in Roman costume.
Also, the soundtrack is amazing.













Dangerous liasons, Dangerous beauty, king arthur, 300, 300: rise of empire, an ideal husband, vanity fair

Vanity Fair is gorgeous and it's fun watching Rebecca scheme her way up the social ladder. Also, James Purfoy is really sexy in his uniform. However, the period detail isn't perfect and neither is Reese Witherspoon's accent. I've read William Makepeace Thackery's novel and the movie is a good adaptation of the lengthy tome.


Dangerous liasons, Dangerous beauty, king arthur, 300, 300: rise of empire, an ideal husband, vanity fair



300 and 300:Rise of an Empire. Beefcake. Need I say more?







Love and Friendship. This isn't the best Jane Austen adaptation I've ever scene, but Kate Beckinsale's witty dialogue makes this film a must see.


If you love history then you will love my books because there's a lot of history in them.

For other posts on historical films, click here and here

2 comments:

Audrey said...

I don't think I have seen any of these, but I am sure I would enjoy them all. Pinning!

Thanks for sharing on #FridayFrivolity.

Janice Wald said...

Hi, I teach history. Thanks for the recommendations.
Janice