As God is my witness, I will get one of these cameos.

Katherine Hepburn as Pamela in A Woman Rebels in 1936.
Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara in Gone with the wind in 1939.I love period piece movies, so anytime I see articles about them, or their costumes or leading men, I can't help but read them. Today, I ran across a Daily Mail piece (click here to read) on recycled period piece costumes and the website Recycled Movie Costumes, which tracks their use. Scrolling though the pages, I enjoyed seeing costumes from some of my favorite movies like Dangerous Liasons, Pride and Prejudice and of course, Gone With the Wind.



I was really excited to see a cameo worn by Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind (great movie!) recycled for another Civil War period piece, North and South (awful movie!) some 53 years later. Below the movie stills was a vintage advertisement stating that knockoff cameos were manufactured as part of a Lux Soap tie-in campaign. For $.15, fans of Gone With the Wind could purchase the replica.

Do you know what this means? It means I will be scouring the junk jewelry cases in antique shops, thrift stores and garage sales until I find one of these cheap trinkets. It's probably the closest I'll ever come to owning something that kind of, sort of came from Gone With the Wind. The old TV guide with Scarlett and Rhett on the cover and and the puzzles I already own don't count.

5 comments:

Jessica @ The Wondering Brain said...

Hi Georgie!

Thank you for stopping by the Show Off Blog Party! I'm a history buff too so all the historical costumes, movies, etc. are soo interesting to me. I kid you not, I have fun in a museum!! I hope you stop by again next week to party with us!

Jessica
The Wondering Brain

Lanaya | Raising Reagan said...

You'll probably throw your computer after you read this ... I still haven't seen Gone with the Wind! I know ... blasphemy!
I swear it's on my list of to do's!!

Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

¤´¨)
¸.•*´
(¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
www.raising-reagan.com

Gossip_Grl said...

Enjoyed reading your post today! I love the older movies, especially black and whites. You really have me thinking about the cameo necklaces now!

Mommy Evolution said...

Linking up with my Friday Flash Blog community. Thanks for joining and sharing in the fun! Have a terrific week and see you on Thursday evening.

Natasha in Oz said...

I love older movies too-I studied quite a few of them at college and still love watching them.

Thanks so much for sharing this at Say G'Day Saturday!

Hope to see you again this weekend.

Best wishes,
Natasha in Oz