When I was Younger I Tried...

I found this great prompt through the Finish This Sentence Friday blog hop. So, here it goes.

When I was young, I tried to write a romance novel.

I don't mean last year, or even five years ago, I mean in high school.

I guess I thought I knew something about love, and writing, which is strange considering I had absolutely no experience in the romance department, physical or otherwise. My biggest notion of romance was the raging crush I had on Corin Nemec from Parker Lewis Can't Lose. Yet there I was in the library, checking out a book on how to write romance. I must have figured that since I had a few short stories under my belt (the only thing under my belt at that time, ha-ha) I could craft a compelling 300+ word sweeping historical epic. I don't remember if I I actually finished reading the book, or if I even started writing one, at least not until about five years ago.

Live and learn.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I started writing a romance novel when I was a teenager. My heroine was called Becky! I think I did two chapters and I was already into the lovey stuff. I even got my Mum to read it and she thought it was good. I wish I still had it now. I bet it was total rubbish!

Janine Huldie said...

I don't think I would have had the follow through for this at that age, but I definitely give you an "A" for effort!! Great post and thank you for linking up with us again :)

Anonymous said...

When I was twelve, my cousins and I started writing a mystery novel. We got about ten pages in.

Unknown said...

Man, I totally forgot about Parker Lewis! I had to google it to refresh my memory. Yeah, he was cute. Enjoyed reading this. Thanks for linking up!

Kelly Blackwell @ Heres My Take On It said...

When I was in high school I wrote pages and pages of romance. I totally lived through my characters. :) At some point I got into horror and mystery and forgot the romance altogether.

http://heresmytakeonit.blogspot.com/

Linda Roy said...

Hi! I'm this week's Mixologist following you from #MTMMIxer! Hope you'll stop by and visit my blog!

Unknown said...

I recently found the romance novel I tried to write. It's hilarious. I was too shy and inexperienced to write aboutanything romantic! Like you said, live and learn.

Unknown said...

I don't think I'd ever be able to write romance. I'd be laughing too hard. :) You are a braver soul than I am!

Seriously Kate said...

You know... I think I tried to write a book in high school too! I have no idea though what it was about. I imagine romance as well since any romance I knew of was in my head or in the movies! :)

Thanks for stopping by Seriously Kate!

Kate @ http://seriouslykateblog.blogspot.com